On Thursday, October 3rd St. Louis felt the calm before the storm. We’re talking about October baseball; there’s nothing like it!
Everyone is involved and gets caught up in the excitement of the Cardinals chances at bringing home another World Series Championship. At STL Communications we’re feeling it too. We had two tickets for Thursday, the first playoff game, in the RedBird Club. We wanted to give our tickets away to the most deserving Cardinals fan.
We decided to have a contest. The rules were simple: 1)submit your best Cardinals post-season story 2) must be received by noon on Wednesday 3)a panel of judges picks the best story, and the winner receives playoff tickets against the Pirates.
Many great Post-Season stories were submitted. It was difficult to choose one winner. After much laughter, some tears, and warmed hearts, the judges chose Terri Stuart, from Unico Inc. Touched by Terri’s story, we thought it only right she should win.
Here is Terri’s Winning Submission:
“My husband went to a playoff game against the Dodgers in 1985. As soon as he stepped out of the new truck he realized he locked his keys in the truck. He went into the game until about the 4 or 5 inning then was so worried about the keys, he decided he better get back out to the truck to try to break into it. Unfortunately after getting security and police help he ending up calling me to bring him the extra keys. I was 9 months pregnant with 2 toddlers at home. I had to wake the two toddlers up and drive to the stadium with his extra keys. He missed watching the Cards beat the Dodgers in the ninth inning. Furthermore, after 28 years, I still haven’t let him forget that he owes me one for locking his keys in the truck. Go Cards!”
Thanks to the generosity of STL Communications, Terri and her husband were able to attend a playoffs game together with no children, and no keys locked in the truck!
Thank You for all of your wonderful submissions, keep your eyes peeled for more ways to win with STL Communications,
(hint: following us on LinkedIn- STL Communications, Inc. and Twitter-@STLCommInc will bring you the fastest giveaway announcements,) and GO CARDS!!!
But wait! Cardinals fans; in honor of the Cubs and this past weekend’s series victory over them check out our fun facts below! Not so much “funny” as it is “sad”, here are 20 THINGS THAT HAVE HAPPENED SINCE THE CHICAGO CUBS LAST WON THE WORLD SERIES:
1. Radio was invented; Cub fans got to hear their team lose.
2. TV was invented; Cub fans got to see their team lose.
3. Baseball added 14 teams; Cub fans got to see AND hear their team lose to more teams.
4. George Burns celebrated his 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th,70th, 80th, 90th and 100th birthdays.
5. Halley’s Comet passed Earth… twice.
6. Harry Caray was born… and died. Incredible, but true.
7. The NBA, NHL and NFL were formed, and Chicago teams won championships in each league.
8. Man landed on the moon, as have several home runs given up by Cubs pitchers.
9. Sixteen US presidents were elected.
10. There were 11 amendments added to the Constitution.
11. Prohibition was created, and repealed.
12. The Titanic was built, set sail, sank, was discovered, and became the subject of major motion pictures… the latter giving Cub fans hope that something that finishes on the bottom can come out on top.
13. Wrigley Field was built and becomes the oldest park in the National League.
14. Flag poles were erected on Wrigley Field roof to hold all of the team’s future World Series pennants. Those flag poles have since rusted and been taken down.
15. A combination of more than 40 summer & winter Olympics have been held.
16. Thirteen baseball players have won the Triple Crown; several thanked Cubs pitchers.
17. Bell bottoms came in style, went out of style, and came back in style.
18. The Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Florida Marlins have ALL won the World Series.
19. The Cubs played 14,153 regular-season games; they lost the majority of them.
20. Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma, and New Mexico were added to the Union.