Most companies are already working with communicating via video in one way or another, but how do you know if you’re doing it the right way? Outside of the incredible capability to talk and provide demonstrations to people all over the world, do you really know the best practices for video conferencing? Avaya Spaces allows you to have face-to-face meetings anytime you need to, from your laptop or iPad. STL Communications doesn’t just sell the software, we sell the know-how.
Here are 6 tips to make the most of your video conferencing.
1. Look at the camera, not your smart phone or laptop. You may think the others in the meeting won’t be able to tell that you’re texting or responding to emails, but they can. There are very few things worse than having a conversation with someone who isn’t paying attention.
2. Dress for the occasion. Did you know that repeating shapes or lines on shirts can be distracting? Make it easier on everybody and stick with solid colors
3. Sound is incredibly important. We’ve found that using an iPad gives the best audio. Adding headphones to the mix means you’re not disturbing those around you and it can also cut down on feedback.
4. Silence is golden. If you’re not talking, it’s a good idea to mute yourself. Between paper shuffling and phones ringing, the background noise of a multiple-attendee video call can be overwhelming. You don’t want someone’s words (including your own) drowned out by random office noises – be courteous and mute when possible to eliminate the problem.
5. Equally as important to the sound quality is the visual. Once you log in to your meeting, make sure you’re at eye-level so other attendees have a clear view of your face.
6. If you ARE at eye-level, this next one shouldn’t be a problem….but try not to have the audience looking up your nostrils. Nobody wants to see that.
Now that you have some of the basics down, there’s nothing holding you back from being video-savvy. Still have questions or want to talk about Avaya Spaces’ capabilities? Give us a call at (800) 993-4785!